zaterdag 28 juni 2014

A small step closer...

A bit of a "status update" on how things are developing over here and how it will all proceed from there.
Okay, so a while ago I called the VU, and got a letter I had to sign to allow them to check my doctor's records with my GP (not that there is much in them, lol). After that I got another letter saying they will call everyone who signed up in the first two weeks of July to pick a date for the intake.
Before the intake I have to get a refferal letter from my GP as well, because otherwise the insurance won't cover anything.
The intake is not the 'actual' start of therapy and medical process, rather they just create a "file" for you and get some basic details down. Basically that is the starting point they use for making a "plan" how to proceed from there.
After that, you will be placed on the waiting list, and the actual treatment cannot start until you are the first 'in line', so to speak.

This "treatment" will first start with A LOT of psychological tests and talks, etc. to find out some basic things, like:
  1. Do you really have GID (=Gender Identity Disorder, AKA: medical term for transgenderism)
  2. Do you have other mental issues that need resolving first? 
  3. Are you mentally and emotionally prepared for transition 
This phase can take from a few months to multiple years, depending on how strong, mentally stable, and certain of you decision, etc. you are. I find it hard, if not near impossible, to estimate the time it will take with me, so I decided not to fuss about it too much right now, and just see what happens.

After that, if all goes well, they will diagnose you with GID and give you the "green light" to start the medical process some time later. (after some physical tests, like hormone levels and such. I am not entirely sure what else...)
This will first consist of a RLE (= Real Life Experience) where you live as your desired sex full time and get the hormones of this sex (so in my case that would be testosterone). During that time you will stay in touch with the VU and still have regular talks with psychologists. If you have doubts or feel like it's going "too quick" you can always slow the process down (on the other hand, speeding it up is a lot harder).
Once you successfully finished the RLE, you will get green light for the surgeries. There are several options and (as far as I know) you don't have to take them all, but as they are still so far away I am not really thinking about that step yet. If you guys are interested I can write another blog post about them though, and list the differences and pros and cons of certain surgeries. That is too much for this time though.

As you see this first "big" step is actually a very small one, and I still have a long road ahead of me with many pitfalls along the way. I cannot predict what it will look like and how exactly I will tread on it. That is something only time can tell.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten